Monday, September 15, 2014

A Portrait of Matt Monro



For me, there can never be another singer like Matt Monro. I believe that he's got one of the finest voices the world has ever heard. In fact, those who are engaged in retro pop were mostly influenced by his voice and his music. Listening to some of his songs on YouTube made me feel like I am under a very strong spell. His voice is as powerful as his songs. I could sometimes feel that his melody is not only coming from his heart but from his soul as well.

His unique style of delivering lines makes me melt on my seat whenever I listen to him. For me, he's got the highest class in singing. I may sound exaggerated; but honestly, that is how I feel.

The death of Matt Monro due to liver cancer in 1985 took away a legend from retro pop music fans like me. However, he left a legacy and was considered as one of the most cited and most memorable singers of all time.

In 1985, I was only 11 years old; but in spite of my young age then, I became a solid fan. I even had a crush on my father's friend then who imitates his style of singing. He comes to our house frequently for short drinking karaoke sprees with my dad, who also has big respect and admiration for Matt Monro.

My favorite Matt Monro song is "A Portrait of My Love". Right now, I am studying voice with a Yamaha School of Music instructor. The reason? Well, aside of course from the fact that I love singing, I want to be able to reach the pitch of his songs without changing the keys. I am very much happy that now, I can sing several with ease and confidence.

This year, I just turned 35. If the legend is still living, he will be 78 by now. Imagine our age gap. He must already be enjoying success in the music industry even before I was born ... but hearing his songs when I was still a kid really made me fall in love with retro pop and the music of Matt Monro.



The author, Jade Martin, is the founder and creator of Center for Paranormal Studies, Profilers of the Unknown and Intramuros Ghost Walk. She is also a Businesswoman, Life and Business Coach, Author, Singer and Songwriter, Ghost Tour Operator, Paranormal Investigator and Consultant, Energy Healer, Hypnotherapist, Past Life Regression Therapist, Numerologist and Tarot Reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment