Sunday, September 14, 2014

What A Magician's Mother Has To Say



My son, Ian Martin, is so much lovable as a kid. Madaldal. Bibbo. Makulit. He didn't grow up by my side and this always makes me feel like making up for the lost time will take forever.

He grew up under the care of my father and mother, who I believed, loved him more than I did. Sometimes, it hurts to think about that; but I guess, that's the truth. I wanted him to grow by my side but because my parents are old and I can't snatch away their happiness from them, I'm left with no choice but to leave him under their care.

It's truly painful to leave someone so dear behind but throughout the years, I've always kept the hope in my heart that one day, we will be together again. I would always see his face wherever I go. I would always hear his laughter.

After so many years, we're back into each others arms. Believe me, making up hasn't been so easy; but we were able to cope with that.

When he grew up, the problem that the family had to face about him was that he was not able to push through with schooling. He may have lost interest before, but I am quite certain that he did not totally lose it because I can always see in him the desire to go back to school. What happened is that he became more focused in his new discovery. It used to be a plain hobby. Now, it became his world.

I think he was only 13 when he first showed his interest in magic. Prior to that, he would try other things like making personalized bracelets, solving the Rubik's Cube in seconds and crafting various stuff to amuse everyone around him; in addition to bugging me most of the time to buy him this and that so he can practice various tricks. I can never forget how disappointed he would be whenever I refuse; not to mention, how he cries in silence. At the back of my mind, I always knew that this child will be a great entertainer someday.

The pursuit to be a magician is not something cheap. I used to have a little interest in magic, and I totally lost it when David Copperfield retired...until my own son finally followed the footsteps of this great man. Since then, I understood why this craft should be respected by everyone --- whether he's a magician or not. Magicians hone themselves but it's not just about showcasing what they got; it's more about making people happy.

Every magician invests not only money but also so much time and effort to perfect an act. I can see my son doing a lot of research and preparations, regardless of how late he would sleep each night and how mad he would be whenever his siblings accidentally damage to his tools.

I admit, my pocket was so much affected by his chosen path, realizing that if he had chosen to take up medicine instead, I would be able to afford it. Yet, I know that I would have to support his interest because I can see how good he is, how he values the craft and how he became a better person since he started doing magic. I saw a lot of improvements in him that I did not see when he was still schooling.

Maybe, he wouldn't understand how proud I was when I saw him perform on the television for the first time. Maybe he would when he, himself, eventually became a father. He wouldn't understand why my tears are falling while writing this piece of literature. In my heart, I would like to see him as something else. But my role is to support him and continue to love him for what he is; regardless of what he has chosen for himself.

Since what he's doing is so much close to his heart, I know that he will go a long way...and I could only watch him soar. I will always be by his side, together with the whole family. Seeing how passionate he is in what he's doing, I can only be proud and thankful.

If anyone will ask me this question, "Who's the best magician in the world?" I will not say it's Houdini. It's not even my favorite magician, David Copperfield. Of course, I will say it's my son, Ian Martin, and I am his number 1 fan.

For a mother, her child will always be the best. Ian Martin, my first-born child, who used to be known to us as Immanuel, is among the best gifts I've received from God. That is exactly what his name means.

Keep it up son, and may Buddha bless you always. This article is written to let you know that I am very, very happy to have you in my life.


   IAN MARTIN, MAGFI's Close Up Magic Grand Champion 2012 and 2013




The author, Jade Martin, is the founder and creator of Center for Paranormal Studies, Profilers of the Unknown and Intramuros Ghost Walk. She is also a Businesswoman, Life and Business Coach, Author, Singer and Songwriter, Ghost Tour Operator, Paranormal Investigator and Consultant, Energy Healer, Hypnotherapist, Past Life Regression Therapist, Numerologist and Tarot Reader.



No comments:

Post a Comment